Here are some tips from Tony Horton:
1. Variety is the spice of fitness. Mix it up and do something different every day.
2. Consistency. Aim to workout a minimum of 5 days a week and a maximum of 7 (six days a week, 24 workouts a month being ideal). Anything less is like throwing yourself down a flight of stairs. You’ll be sore but it won’t do much good for you.
3. Intensity. Aim for 6,7, or 8 on a scale of 1 to 10. One being sitting on the couch and 10 being chased by guys with knives who want to kill you. Get a heart rate monitor.
4. Purpose. Have a reason for working out. Most people focus on wanting to look better (lose weight). That is focusing on the future or the past. You shouldn’t care about what others think of you and how you look. The greatest success comes when you use some sort of equipment such as schwinn 420 elliptical, best gloves for rowing machine and focus on improving your fitness, your health, your quality of life. In other words you are more likely to stick with a fitness program if you are doing it for the right reasons.
5. Reality. Be authentic. Be honest. Be vulnerable. Know your limitations and slowly push beyond them. Don’t get discouraged if you can’t keep up with the people on the videos.
6. Play a sport. Team sport or individual, it doesn’t matter.
7. Plan. Schedule your workouts and stick to that schedule.
8. Deal with stress and get enough sleep. Write down what is stressing you before you go to sleep. That will help you avoid mulling it over in your mind when you should be sleeping. Aim for 7.5 – 8 hours of sleep per night. Do something nice for someone you are having trouble with.
9. Love it. If you don’t like it, don’t do it.
10. Flexibility. The fountain of youth. Stretching and improving your range of motion will result in less injury.
11. Food and supplementation. Aim to eat fruits, vegetables, healthy grains, lean proteins and healthy fats. For supplements Tony takes a multivitamin, creatine, and whey protein shakes.
But check here for more info on gym equipment and more.
I am looking forward to adding my running back to the routine. For this week, I just want to get used the new schedule and get my body through the soreness……. but I was up to a 5k 2-3 times a week, running intervals and exercise gym mats.